Friday, July 3, 2009

Choices, Choices...

So nowadays everyone seems to be going through some sort of financial hardship. Most people have either lost a job themselves, or know at least one person who has been recently laid off. (For me, I know a few). In these hard times, we try to remain optimistic, but we are slapped with a mortgage or rent payment that doesn't give up and often try to find new alternatives to our current budget.
Remember Tony from "Who's the Boss?" He had it so easy. He didn't pay rent, I don't think he had a full time job, and he got to stay at home and simply hang out with the kids while watching the game in his sweats.
Call me lazy, but that sounds like heaven right about now.
I saw an ad on a popular job site exchanging free rent for occasional assisting of a mentally handicapped individual who lives in a mansion! The pictures of this place were spotless, granite counter tops, white linoleum floors, and potted plants.
I entertained the idea, sure, but my previous experiences with mentally disabled individuals reminded me of the old adage, 'if it's too good to be true, it probably is'.
I am curious dear readers, if the situation presented itself, would you take this offer. Consider that you haven't met the handicapped person and you don't know what to expect.

So here I am. I am dining on hot dogs and balogne sandwiches this week, stretching my dollar like Stretch Armstrong, as I sit in my comfortable Brookline apartment with the freedom to come and go as I please. I think I made the right choice.

No comments: